Our Hutchinson Family

20 Generations --  From Barnard to LeRoy E Hutchinson






Barnard Hutchinson


Aft. 1282


+Miss Boyville




John Hutchinson




+Edith Wouldbie




James Hutchinson




+Ursula Gregory




William Hutchinson




+Anne Bennet




Anthony Hutchinson




+Isabel Harvie




Thomas Hutchinson




+Mary Drake




Lawrence Hutchinson








Thomas Hutchinson




+Mrs Thomas Hutchinson




Thomas Hutchinson








Richard Hutchinson




+Alice Bosworth




Joseph Hutchinson




+Lydia Buxton




Samuel Hutchinson




+Rachel Allen




Samuel Hutchinson




+Jemima Dunham




John Hutchinson I




+Mary Polly Wilson




John Hutchinson II




+Anna Vail




John Hutchinson III




+Mrs John Hutchinson




Charles Eugene Hutchinson




+Eliza Barbara Dyer




Elmer George Hutchinson




+Flora Amanda Morgan




Frank LeRoy Hutchinson




+Margie Victoria Isham




LeRoy Elmer Hutchinson




+Mary Annette Wyman



Hutchinson Roots

DNA testing  confirms that we are descendants of Richard (generation 10 in the chart) and his son Joseph (gen 11).  The line back to Barnard is commonly accepted, but is not absolutely proved. (Neither is it disproved.)  In similar fashion, from Joseph we know that the family eventually ended up in Connecticut, Vermont and New York before coming to Michigan. Many of the details are confirmed, but we still lack hard proof.  Map links  in the following indicate the vicinity indicated, but may not show the  exact location.

Barnard  Hutchinson (gen 1) was living in Cowlam, Yorkshire, England in the year 1282, in the reign of King Edward I, and appears to be the first reliable representative and progenitor of the Hutchinson family in England.  Little is known of his personal history.

Anthony  (gen 5) was born in Cowlam Yorkshire, England about 1454.  His son  Thomas (gen 6) was born in Cropwell Butler, Nottinghamshire,  England. Thomas II (gen 9) was born in Newark,  Nottinghamshire, England in 1565 and moved to Arnold somewhere between 1601 and 1605. Arnold is less than 5 miles from Sherwood Forest, where Robin Hood was supposedly active between 1260 and 1300.


Back to Top


Richard  (gen 10) was born in 1602 in Arnold. Richard Hutchinson with his wife Alice and four children, came to America in 1634 and settled in Salem  Village, now Danvers, Massachusetts.  The first official notice made of him is in the town records, when it is stated that in recognition of his public spirit, as being the possessor  and introducer of the first plow brought into this country, he was granted one hundred and forty acres of land by the town authorities.  Clearing the land was a lengthy process. Adjoining this land were two  hundred acres granted to Mr. (Edmund) Freeman and one hundred acres granted to John Thorndike, both of which Hutchinson acquired, giving him a farm of four hundred acres. On June 6, 1648, he bought from Elias Stileman an adjoining farm of one hundred and fifty acres, now the center of Danvers, and on February 21, 1649, with his son-in-law Nathaniel Putnam he bought from William Haynes one-half (one hundred and fifty acres) of the Pease farm. His final important purchase was made  in partnership with John Putnam, John Hathorn and Daniel Ray on October 31, 1662, when they bought from "Worshipful Major Hathorn" and Capt. Richard Davenport two farms of about two hundred and eighty acres each, all of which made him one of the greatest land owners of the place and  time. He was a thorough agriculturist, and by assiduous devotion to his occupation and economy in living. he acquired a large landed estate, which on his death was divided according to the terms of his will. He and his wife are recorded as members of the first church in Salem. He married three times, the last when he was seventy nine years of age.  He died in 1682.


Back to Top


Joseph Hutchinson Sr (gen 11) was born 1633 in England. His life was spent in  Salem Village, farming his broad inheritance. He was constable of Salem in 1677.  Although not a member of the church, he gave the village the  acre of land on which its first meeting house was built in 1673 and was  one of five who gave Mr. Bailey, its first and unordained minister,  twenty-eight acres of land “for his more comfortable subsistence amongst us.” He obviously believed in the existence of witchcraft. In an  emotional reaction to the accusations of the “afflicted” children, he  was one of the complainants who procured the warrants against the first unfortunate women accused -- Tituba, the Indian slave, Sarah Good and Sara Osburn. As the hysterical proceedings of the witchcraft trials  advanced, however, he seems to have had strong doubts.

Back to Top

Samuel I

Samuel Hutchinson I (gen 12) was born in 1682 in Salem Village (Danvers), Essex Co, MA. Around 1709 he and his wife, Rachel Allen, moved to Windham, Windham Co, Connecticut.  (Coincidently, Sylvia Harris Hutchinson taught in and retired from the  Windham School systems.)  With William Allen he purchased 150 acres of land on May 30, 1709 and on October 25, 1710 they purchased 230 acres. This land was on the line dividing Windham and Lebanon CT. He died  February 22, 1758 in Windham, Windham, CT.

Back to Top

Samuel II

Samuel Hutchinson II (gen 13) was born in Windham, CT April 18, 1718.  In company with his son, John, he came to Norwich, Windsor Co, Vermont in 1765. They cleared an island in the Connecticut River, and planted it with corn. In the fall of that year they returned to Connecticut, and in company with a younger son, Samuel, returned in the spring of 1766, and made a permanent settlement. The elder Samuel spent the remainder of his life  in the town, and died there February 8, 1809.

Back to Top

John I

John Hutchinson I (gen 14) was born October 13, 1741 in Windham, CT.  Moved to Norwich, VT in 1765.  Enlisted in the army on Aug 13, 1776 for a 3-year term, he was a private and a member of Captain  Joseph Hatch's Company of Rangers under Major Joab Hoisington; Sept 20, 1776. Died at Valley Forge, June 22, 1778.  He was 5 ft, 7 in tall.

Back to Top

John II

John Hutchinson II (gen 15) was born before August 1765 in Ashford, Windham County, Connecticut.  He was still a baby when the family moved to Vermont. His wife, Anna Vail, came from Long Island, NY. The book, Genealogy of the Hutchinson Family in England and America from 1282 to 1899 by George H. Hutchinson, published in 1897 says, “ . . . wife from Long Island, cousin of Eleazer's wife. Moved to near Batavia, New York and lost track of.”

Back to Top

John III

John II  and his wife, Anna, had a son, John III (gen 16) born in 1794 and two daughters, Elizabeth and Narcissa. Thus far, I can find no further  information on this part of the family.

Back to Top

Charles Eugene

Charles  Eugene Hutchinson (gen 17) was born October 7, 1818 in Carlton, New York.  On April 4, 1850, he married Elizabeth Barbara Dyer, who was born April 26, 1824 in Albion, New York.  (Both of these towns are near Batavia.) Their first son, William Z, was born on February 17 1851 in  Carlton. Their second son, Charles Jr, was born in October 1854 in Thetford, Genesee Co, Michigan.  So we know  that between 1851 and 1854 they moved to Michigan. Their third son was Elmer G Hutchinson.

Back to Top

Elmer George Hutchinson

Flora Amanda Morgan

GE n FA Hutch02
These were the parents of Frank LeRoy Hutchinson. This photo was taken in 1940.

Elmer was born August 20, 1859 in Thetford, Genessee County, Michigan.  His parents were Charles Eugene Hutchinson and Eliza Barbara Dyer of New York state.  The 1880 US Census shows 21-year-old Elmer working on the farm of John Morgan in Fremont, Tuscola  County, Michigan.

He was a farmer all his life. His son, Frank, tells the story of Elmer’s exploits as a lumber jack. Once the spring planting was done, farm work slowed again until harvest time.  Particularly, the winters were a  quiet time. That would have given time for other pursuits -- such as  earning some extra money by working in the lumber woods.

In the woods, the fallen trees were stripped of branches and then floated down  the river in large bunches to the saw mill. It was a two-day trip back, and the men would stop for the night at “The Half-Way House.” One of their attractions was a bear on a leash. Patrons were invited to try to hit the bear on the nose with a bat. If the bear swatted the bat away,  the patron had to buy beer for everybody. However, if he was able to hit the bear’s nose, then the innkeeper bought free beer for everyone. According to Frank’s story, one evening Elmer took up the bat on a dare and held it over his head. He walked up to the bear who began to  anticipate a swing, but Elmer just stared him in the eye not moving a muscle.  After a while, the bear began to stare back at Elmer. There they stood face-to-face in a stare down that lasted a long time.  Then  without warning, Elmer swiftly brought the bat down, hitting the bear on his sensitive nose.  The place went wild as this had never been done  before, and it was free beer for everybody. After that, the bear would  try to hide anytime anyone picked up that bat. The innkeeper was very upset. I suspect that Elmer was very proud.

The 1910 US Census showed that Elmer was a bee keeper and that he had his own hives. 

Flora was born August 18, 1863 in Vassar, Tuscola, Michigan.  Her parents were John Morgan of Vermont and Mariah of Pennsylvania.  John was a  lumberman and a farmer. They were wealthy folks. One family story says that Flora would not hang her parents’ picture in their homes, because  the walls were not good enough. Her parents were quite upset when Flora fell in love with one of their hired men and then married him in 1883.

They had three sons:
Frank Leroy -- born in 1887
John I -- born in 1889
Charles Lee -- born in 1891

Elmer  Died September 18, 1943 in Pioneer Twp, Missaukee Co, MI.  Flora passed away shortly after on March 2, 1944.

Back to Top

Frank LeRoy  Hutchinson

Frank 194202
Frank was born May 19 1887 in Vassar, Michigan.  His Parents were Elmer George Hutchinson and Flora Amanda Morgan.

He farmed in his younger days and worked at a variety of odd jobs later in  life. Sometimes he worked in one town while his family lived elsewhere.

As a young man he worked hard as a farmer. He started with his parents on the east side of Michigan, not too far from Detroit. His folks sold that farm and bought another near Lake City between 1900 and 1910. There he met Margie Isham.

Margie’s step father, Alfred Weidler, was a bee keeper, and Frank’s dad wanted to try that too.  That’s how the families came together and the couple  met.

Frank  used to ride a beautiful white horse over to visit Margie. She really loved that horse. Sometimes, Frank had trouble catching the horse,  which ran free around their farm. Then he would walk several miles to  visit Margie -- later, she would say, “He always did have his queers.”  (Meaning that he sometimes did strange things.)

When Frank and Margie were first married (November 1913), they lived near McBain, Michigan.  That is where LeRoy was born.

At the time of the 1920 US census, 32-yr-old Frank was living at 302 Bridge St  NW, Grand Rapids.  He was working in a furniture factory where he  operated a shaper machine. His family, 24-yr-old wife Margie, and children; Charles, Doris, Mamie and 8 month-old LeRoy were living in Reeder Township, Missaukee County with  Margie’s mother, step father and two-step brothers.

In 1930, Frank and family were living with his parents, Elmer and Flora in Pioneer Township of  Missaukee County.  In  the late 1920s, Frank and Margie’s house caught fire and burned to the ground -- everyone got out alive, but all of their things were lost in the fire. Folks say that the tremendous loss from that fire broke  Frank’s spirit and caused him to give up his dreams and ambitions.

They moved to Leslie in 1935.  They lived there for at least 10 years before moving a couple of miles north of Rapid City.  Frank died July 16, 1975 and is buried in the Rapid City, Michigan cemetery.

Back to Top

Margie Victoria Isham

Margie Isham02
Margie was born  December 3, 1895 in Eaton Rapids,  Michigan. Her parents  were Will Isham and Sarah Louisa Hodges (aka Sadie).

She  was married to Frank Hutchinson November 3, 1913 in Lake City Michigan, and they had 11 children:

  • Alfred Charles Hutchinson, b - September 18, 1914, d - January 2 1983
  • Doris Marie Hutchinson, b - March 28, 1916
  • Mamie May Hutchinson, b - August 22, 1917, d - February 1, 2007
  • LeRoy Elmer Hutchinson, b -  April 7, 1919 (McBain, MI), d - December 11, 1990 (Leslie, MI)
  • Robert Earl Hutchinson, b - January 18, 1923, d - March 3, 1990
  • Richard Hutchinson, b - May 19, 1924, d - December 24, 1924
  • Mary Maxine Hutchinson, b - August 23, 1925, d - September 9, 2004
  • Charlotte Elizabeth Hutchinson, b - April 21, 1927, d - date?
  • Flora Belle Hutchinson, b - May 15, 1928
  • Margaret Sarah Hutchinson, b - July 14, 1929
  • Frank Hutchinson Jr, b - August 12, 1930, d - 19??

She was  an excellent piano player, and played for the silent movies. When asked how hard that was, she said, “It was very easy -- you could do it too. You just watch the screen and play something that goes along with what you see. If it’s a chase scene, you play fast. If it’s a love scene you play sweet and slow.”

Back to Top

LeRoy Elmer  Hutchinson

LeRoy 19xx02
LeRoy was born April 7, 1919 in McBain, Michigan. His parents were Frank LeRoy Hutchinson and Margie Victoria Isham.

His  freshman year, he attended high school in Lake City, his family moved the next year. He graduated from Leslie High School in 1938.  After graduation, he found work as an apprentice painter in Lansing, Michigan.

After he married Mary in 1939, they moved into an old farm house on the Phillips Rd (today called Hagadorn Rd) north of  Mason, Michigan.  Later they moved into Lansing on Grand River Ave just east of Pennsylvania Ave.  The USA had entered WWII, and in 1943 LeRoy  enlisted first in the Civil Air Patrol and then in the Army Air Corp  (later to become the US Air Force).  But first, he moved his family to Leslie (on Race Street), so that Mary, and the children could  be close to Mary’s folks.

LeRoy  went through Basic Training, Pre-Flight School, Basic Aviation School and then he developed an eye infection (pink eye -- which is highly contagious).  He did not go on to Advanced Aviation School, and by the  time that he could go with the next group the war was mostly over. Having been released from the Army on October 28, 1945, LeRoy returned home and to the work of a painter. In 1946, he bought the house at 301 State Street (Leslie) from Mary’s parents. He lived there for the rest of his life and died in that house, which he had  extensively remodeled.

During the late 40s and into the 50s he did some correspondence study, and  later took classes at Michigan State University.  He was studying nights at MSU when a job opening came up in the Leslie Post Office. He  applied for and was accepted as a postal clerk. Later he became a rural carrier -- the job which he held until his retirement in 1984.

Back to Top

Mary Annette Wyman

Mary 1936 May02
Mary was born  August 24, 1920 in Michigan. Her parents were Alfred Amos Wyman and Emma Elizabeth Rowe DeRuiter.

Mary started school in the state of Washington.  After her folks returned to Michigan  she attended schools in Eden and Leslie.

She  graduated from Leslie High School in 1939, and married LeRoy Elmer  Hutchinson September 30 of that same year in the Housel UB church at Housel, Michigan.  You won’t find Housel on a map -- it is located at the intersection of Vaughn and Hawley Rds. east and south of Eden. Mary’s parents lived there, and later moved to Leslie.

She had  four children, and was a housewife for most of her life. However, after her children were old enough to be independent, she worked in the dry  cleaner shop in Leslie.

Mary was very active member of the First Baptist Church of Leslie. For years she was the Financial Secretary, keeping records of church finances and donations. She was the right kind of person for the job, because she  held confidences very close. In other words, she could keep her mouth shut -- and she did.

Back to Top